White Bean, Sausage and Cavolo Nero Kale Soup
Yield 4 to 6
A simple and delicious winter soup.
- 1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage, or about 3 mild Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and medium diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and medium diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 quart chicken or pork stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- 2 bunches Cavolo Nero kale, rinsed, tough stems removed, and finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked (or canned) cannellini or other small, white beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Best quality olive oil, to garnish (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, to garnish (optional)
- In a large pot set over medium-high heat, warm the oil until it shimmers. Crumble the sausage meat into the oil, and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is browned.
- Add the onions, carrot and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the vegetables are tender.
- Add to the chicken or pork stock, wine, and dried thyme to the pot. Bring everything to a simmer, then add the kale to the pot.
- Adjust heat to medium-low maintain a very gentle simmer, cover pot, and cook until all the vegetables are quite tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked cannellini beans to the soup, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Gently simmer for a final 10 to 15 minutes, to allow the flavors to fully meld. Adjust final seasonings with additional salt if needed.
- Serve the soup hot, topped with a drizzle of good olive oil and a few shavings of Parmesan.
Recipe by Northwest Edible Life at https://nwedible.com/white-bean-sausage-and-cavolo-nero-kale-soup/