Rhubarb and Spring Herb Salsa
Yield 4 cups
A sweet-tart fruity salsa that's excellent with fish or chicken.
- 3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 1 pound rhubarb stalk (2 large stalks), cut into small dice (3 generous cups)
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced (1 cup, very lightly packed)
- 1 bunch cilantro, rough chopped (1/2-cup, very lightly packed)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes, or more to taste
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Measure the honey into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Blanch the rhubarb. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, then add the diced rhubarb. Cook for 45 - 90 seconds, until rhubarb is just tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain rhubarb very well, then immediately transfer diced rhubarb to the bowl with the honey and stir gently to coat the rhubarb in the honey. Let the rhubarb cool to room temperature.
- Add the green onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice and chili flakes to the rhubarb. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust flavor with additional honey or lime juice as needed.
If you overcook the rhubarb, it will lose its diced shape and fall apart into tiny rhubarb threads. While the flavor will still be good in the salsa, the texture will be more mushy.
This recipe is not suitable for canning. Please consume fresh.
Recipe by Northwest Edible Life at http://nwedible.com/rhubarb-salsa-recipe/