Dark Cherry and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Yield 3 pints
- 8 ounces dark, sweet cherries, such as Bing
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 large, very fresh eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Wash, stem and carefully pit cherries. Rough chop cherries and place on a sheetpan. Measure chocolate chips into a small metal bowl. Place both cherries and chocolate chips in the freezer until needed.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended. Add the sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract and continue to whisk until the egg-sugar base is very light, pale, and fluffy.
- Add the heavy cream and whole milk to the bowl and whisk to combine. Ensure the ice cream base is chilled. If it has warmed up, place it in the refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes, until quite cold. Whisk to combine before proceeding.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- When the ice cream reaches a soft serve stage, about 5 minutes before it's finished, add in the frozen chocolate chips and frozen cherries. Continue processing the ice cream until fully frozen.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours or overnight, until ice cream is completely frozen.
This recipe calls for raw egg. If you or someone who may eat this ice cream is immunocompromised, pregnant, or otherwise advised to avoid raw egg, pasteurized liquid egg can be substituted.
Recipe by Northwest Edible Life at http://nwedible.com/dark-cherry-and-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/